Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Blow Up Your Blog! How to Go from 0 to 60 ASAP.

For all you blogging nuts out there with a small to nil readership, I feel your pain. For the first few months when I started blogging back at the beginning of 2010, I felt as if I was talking to myself on paper, or I should say a computer monitor.

Do not despair! While there are millions of blogs out there on the internet from Neo-Kama Sutra to growing award winning pumpkins, there is a way to get noticed and start creating real buzz for whatever you blog about.

As for me, I've seen my blog soar from a few dozen Facebook friends a week in early 2010 to hundreds of readers a day. It's been 2 years, and I've been blogging constantly the entire time. If I were to show you analytics of my blog, you'll see it's on a slow but accelerating hockey stick. I'm even making a few bucks here and there, though that is not my goal as of now. However, it would be nice to sit at home and make a few hundred bucks a day for writing my quirky and blunt thoughts.

So, you're new to blogging or just wondering how in the hell to get your blog noticed. Let's go through the basics of how to market for free. And, I guarantee if you don't see a pickup in your blog readership you can send me a death threat and I won't even call the cops.

First, make sure you blog about something you are at least quasi-knowledgeble and most importantly passionate about, or, your blog is already doomed to suck like donkey balls. And, if a reader thinks you're boring, he/she is not going to be coming back anytime soon.

Once your blog is written, proofed, and published, the real work begins. It is of paramount importance that you enlist your friendly social networking services and search services to promote your blog.

Step 1: Share your blog on your Facebook page, Tweet out the link (via Twitter, if you don't know what that is, maybe you should stick to a paper diary). Most importantly, share your blog on Google Buzz. This instantly indexes your blog with Google so all those hundreds of millions of Americans and International searches can find your blog via keywords.

Step 2: Enlist the services of Reddit.com (created by UVA grads that were actually in the same classroom classes as me, but they're rich, and I'm not quite there yet :-( ). Reddit gives you the opportunity to get your blog ranked by Reddit users, who if they like your blog will vote for it (positively) and thus more Reddit readers will see your blog. Other sites like StumbleUpon.com, Delicious, and DiggIt, can't hurt. But, you're likely to see less value with these third tier sites.

Step 3: Discipline! Discipline! Discipline! The more you blog, the bigger your following will become. If you take a 5 month vacation from the blogosphere, do not be surprised to see a greatly diminished following. If people like the crap you type, they'll keep reading it! Proof: The National Inquirer is still around and still finding aliens with human testicles, and Bigfoot sightings to this day.

Step 4: Enjoy the fruits of your labor. Rome wasn't built in a day, or a year. It's taken me almost 2 full years to reach the level of readership I have today. So expect a long-haul before you see advertising dollars flow like liquor & smack at a Charlie Sheen bash. The longer you blog, the more content will be on the internet for people to find when they type in keywords that match your blog posts, and that will get you more followers over time. BE PATIENT! And, keep on blogging!

Today's Hopefully Helpful B-Word.


No comments:

Post a Comment